Listen Live

DECATUR, Ill. – An Illinois high school student is being praised for his quick thinking after officials said he saved a choking infant.

>> Read more trending news

According to WAND and WCIA, Chase Eller, a sophomore at Sullivan High School in Decatur, recently visited a local restaurant and spotted a baby who was having trouble breathing. As the infant’s parents struggled to help the child, Eller sprang into action, the Sullivan school district wrote in a Facebook post Thursday.

“Having learned the proper technique to help dislodge food if an infant is choking during Coach Bales’s Health class, he quickly realized that the approach that was being used could actually make the situation worse,” the post read. “He took action, asking them to hand the baby over to him, and the child was able to dislodge the food and safely breathe. Sullivan High School is very proud of this young man’s willingness to take action and help in a stressful situation!”

The post, which also featured a photo of Eller, quickly went viral, raking in more than 2,000 shares by Friday morning.

Read more here or here.