Listen Live

FULTON, N.Y. – A New York woman is facing a misdemeanor animal cruelty charge after allegedly allowing a puppy to ingest heroin.

The 6-week-old Doberman Pinscher named Champ died, WNYW reported.

>> Read more trending news

Nicole Holland, 26, of Fulton told New York State Police troopers that she left a pink plate of heroin on the floor and confirmed that she saw the puppy lick the narcotic off the plate before she snorted the rest through a straw, WSTM reported.

According to a statement from Holland, she took video of Champ “walking funny” after he ingested the substance, but troopers have declined to share the video publicly because of its disturbing nature. The video, however, prompted the initial investigation after it was detected on social media by the State Police and the Oswego County SPCA.

Holland told police that Champ’s stomach became bloated and he began breathing shallowly, WSTM reported.

Although she admitted to both drug possession and use, State Police told the TV station that they could not charge Holland with those offenses because neither were witnessed.

Holland is due to appear in court April 6, WNYW reported.