Marc Short, Vice President Mike Pence’s chief of staff, tested positive for the coronavirus Saturday. By Sunday evening, five infections had been confirmed within the vice president’s inner circle, including his top outside political adviser, Marty Obst.
Update 9:40 p.m. EDT Oct. 25: The Washington Post identified the other three infected people in Pence’s orbit as his personal aide Zach Bauer, “known as a ‘body man,’ who accompanies him throughout his day” and two other unnamed staff members.
Original story: According to Devin O’Malley, the vice president’s press secretary, Short is the second person in Pence’s camp to test positive for COVID-19. Pence spokeswoman Katie Miller tested positive in May.
Short “began quarantine and is assisting in the contact tracing process,” O’Malley said in a statement.
Pence was in Tallahassee, Florida, on Saturday night for a rally.
Pence and his wife, Karen Pence, both tested negative on Saturday, O’Malley said. Pence will maintain his schedule in accordance with CDC guidelines for essential personnel, the press secretary said.
A Trump adviser briefed on the outbreak, who was not authorized to speak publicly, said that Pence adviser Marty Obst also tested positive in the last few days, The New York Times reported.
Obst is Pence’s senior political adviser but is not a government employee, CNN reported.
Obst’s positive test was first reported by Bloomberg News.