Listen Live

KANSAS CITY, Mo. – A former mail carrier in Missouri pleaded guilty in federal court to stealing 94 sports cards worth nearly $40,000, the U.S. attorney’s office said.

>> Read more trending news

Paul O. Robinson, 26, of Richmond, Missouri, pleaded guilty to one count of mail theft, according to a news release from the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Western District of Missouri. Robinson waived his right to a grand jury and pleaded guilty before U.S. District Judge Greg Kays, the release stated.

Robinson, who worked as a mail carrier from 2018 to 2021, admitted that he stole 94 sports trading cards, valued at approximately $39,994, KSHB-TV reported. Robinson also admitted stealing other items over a three-month period, from April to June 2021, according to the television station.

In June 2021, a customer reported that he had mailed a Kevin Durant basketball sports card valued at $1,925 to a customer in Kansas City, Missouri, but the card never arrived, KMBC-TV reported. Investigators said the customer also provided the tracking and serial numbers for additional valuable sports trading cards that were mailed but had not been received, the television station reported.

Four of the missing sports cards were recovered from a sports memorabilia store in Gladstone, Missouri, the district attorney’s office said in its news release. Surveillance video from the store showed Robinson in his postal uniform selling the cards on June 12, 2021.

When federal agents interviewed Robinson, he admitted that he stole the cards, the release stated. Robinson also admitted to taking mail home in his car and destroying pieces of mail. Agents searched Robinson’s residence and found approximately 440 pieces of mail and one additional trading card.

In August 2021, authorities said 11 additional sports cards were recovered from a sports cards and memorabilia store in Liberty, Missouri, Sports Collectors Daily reported. Another sports trading card was also found at the Gladstone store, the website reported.

Robinson faces up to five years in federal prison without parole, according to the district attorney’s news release. A sentencing hearing will be scheduled at a later date, the release stated.