SPRINGFIELD, Ore. – A 6-month-old boy was found barely alive in an Oregon motel room by a social services worker, days after his mother had a fatal overdose, authorities said.
According to a news release from the Springfield Police Department, officers found the boy strapped into a stroller and “virtually unresponsive” at the Quality Inn in Springfield at about 7 p.m. PST.
Police said their investigation revealed that the boy had been in the stroller for four days, the release stated. The child was suffering from severe dehydration, malnourishment, and severe diaper rash, KOIN-TV reported.
The boy was taken to an area hospital for treatment and then to a Portland hospital for “life-saving treatment,” the television station reported.
The boy’s mother was identified as a 28-year-old woman, KOIN reported. She was found dead in the motel room from an apparent overdose, and officers recovered “what is now considered a non-criminal user amount of heroin” in the room, the police department said in its news release.
Hospital officials in Portland said the boy’s condition had “improved dramatically,” the release stated. The child will be released to the Oregon Department of Human Services when he is discharged, KPTV-TV reported.
Police credited the DHS caseworker who did a welfare check on the woman for saving the child’s life, KOIN reported.