WASHINGTON – The dog days of summer have arrived, and there is still no winner in the Mega Millions jackpot.
The numbers drawn for the $1.1 billion grand prize were 8-24-30-45-61 and the Megaball was 12. The multiplier was 4X.
No winner; jackpot rises to $1.25 billion
Update 12:29 a.m. Aug. 2: No one won Tuesday night’s jackpot, which sends the grand prize spiraling upward to $1.25 billion for Friday’s drawing.
According to the Mega Millions website, six people matched the five white balls but not the Mega Ball. Two of the winners were in California, with one winner each in Massachusetts, North Carolina, New York and Wisconsin.
There was a ticket in Texas that matched all five numbers and had the 4X Megaplier.
Friday’s jackpot could jump into the top three in Mega Millions history, surpassing a $1.337 billion ticket that was won in Illinois on July 29, 2022.
If someone matches all of the numbers in Friday’s drawing, they will have the option to take the cash with one immediate payment followed by 29 annual payments. A winner could also choose a lump-sum amount, which now stands at $625.3 million before taxes.
Original report: No one has matched all five white balls and the Megaball since April 18, according to lottery officials. Tuesday’s jackpot was the fourth-largest in Mega Millions history, according to the promotion’s website.
If someone matches all of the numbers Tuesday, they will have the option to take the cash with one immediate payment followed by 29 annual payments. A winner could also choose a lump-sum amount, which currently stands at $550.2 million before taxes.
Mega Millions is the only lottery game that has had four jackpots topping $1 billion, according to the promotion’s website — one each in 2018, 2021, 2022 and 2023. Tuesday’s drawing marked the fifth time the jackpot had gone beyond the $1 billion threshold.
Tickets are sold in 45 states, Washington, D.C., and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Tickets are $2 each in most jurisdictions, but players can add the Megaplier for an additional $1 to multiply their non-jackpot prizes.
Drawings are conducted at 11 p.m. EDT on Tuesdays and Fridays.
Here are the top 10 Mega Millions jackpots:
- $1.537 billion — Oct. 23, 2018 (One ticket from South Carolina).
- $1.348 billion — Jan. 13, 2023 (One ticket from Maine).
- $1.337 billion — July 29, 2022 (One ticket from Illinois).
- $1.25 billion (estimated) — Aug. 4, 2023.
- $1.05 billion — Jan. 22, 2021 (One ticket from Michigan).
- $656 million — March 30, 2012 (One ticket each from Kansas, Illinois and Maryland).
- $648 million — Dec. 17. 2013 (One ticket each from California and Georgia).
- $543 million — July 24, 2018 (One ticket from California).
- $536 million — July 8, 2016 (One ticket from Indiana).
- $533 million — March 30, 2018 (One ticket from New Jersey).