Listen Live

PITTSBURGH – Gunshots rang out in Pittsburgh’s Garfield neighborhood on Wednesday after authorities attempted to serve an eviction notice near UPMC Children’s Hospital, according to WPXI. After a seven-hour standoff, police said the suspect was dead.

>> Read more trending news

Suspect dead, authorities say

Update 6:10 p.m. EDT Aug. 23: According to WPXI-TV, the suspect was identified as William Hardison Sr. Authorities said he was pronounced dead at 5:08 p.m., approximately seven hours after the standoff began.

“The subject in this incident was pronounced deceased by @PghEMS at 5:08 p.m. EST,” Pittsburgh public safety officials tweeted on X, formerly known as Twitter.

— Bob D’Angelo, Cox Media Group National Content Desk

Biden briefed on shooting

Update 3 p.m. EDT Aug. 23: White House officials told reporters on Wednesday that President Joe Biden has been briefed on the ongoing shooting situation.

The standoff continued Wednesday afternoon with more than 100 gunshots heard in the area, WPXI reported.

Original report: Police urged people to avoid the area, warning of “an extremely active situation” in the 4800 block of Broad Street around 11:20 a.m. Officers have since begun to evacuate people from the area.

“If you are inside, please shelter in place, dial 911, and identify your address, location,” police said in a social media post. “Officers will be entering to help guide you to safety.”

More than 100 gunshots were heard as police descended on the area, WPXI reported. Nearly a dozen shots were audible in video shared on social media by the news site.

The shooting began as deputies were serving an eviction notice, WPXI reported, citing unidentified sources. The shooter was believed to be barricaded on Wednesday afternoon, according to the news station.

Schools in the area were placed on lockdown as authorities responded.

Officials with UPMC Children’s Hospital said in a statement obtained by WPXI that they were aware of the shooting, which happened about half a mile from the hospital.

“The individual is accounted for and there is no direct threat to patients, staff or visitors,” the statement read. “Enhanced security is now present on campus and will continue through the day.”

Check back for updates to this developing story.